Saturday, February 25, 2012

Day 15 - Last day in Saigon

The guys spent one more day in Saigon and did a lot of walking and exploring.


Any one for a snack or two or 3
or 100?

Andy, are you trying to look Vietnamese?

What's with all the paperwork?

Do you think we can find a restaurant
down this street?

What, no tour buses?

You sure Kim Cafe has good food?

Loan, how about your cell number?

Last meal together in Vietnam



I was supposed to meet the guys at 9 AM with a DVD of all the pictures we took on the trip, but had problems burning the disc.  We ended up transferring around 800 pictures for them on a flash drive, and I didn't get to Saigon until 5 PM.


The first picture is a man delivering snacks to different stores.  His load is about five foot wide and 6 foot high and there is no way he can see behind him.  When you see him you go wide around him as you don't know when he is going to turn.  The snacks cover his turning signals and brake lights, if they are even working.


When you take a picture of a Vietnamese they will not do 3 in a picture as that is bad luck and they all want to hold their hand with the peace sign.  Pat is just writing his address for me.  He offered me a place to stay when I come to Oregon, so I figured I better have his address.


We went for a walk looking for a place to eat dinner and ended up at Kim Cafe right next to the hotel they were staying in.  It is on De Tham Street (pronounced like day tahn) which is a area where a lot of foreigners and back packers stay, and also point of origin for tours with lots of big buses all of the time.  When I lived in Saigon I used to go to Kim Cafe ever night to eat my dinner as it was good food and the price was right ($2.50 for steak, fries, salad and something to drink).  It is a family that owns it and they were always very nice to me, and they remembered me after 4 or 5 years of not being there.  Loan was our waitress and she spoke pretty good English.  She also took the last picture of us together enjoying our meal.


It has been a long two weeks and we are all tired.  It was a great trip and saw a lot of things and made many friends, but it will be good to get home and back to our routines.  I am going to miss these guys but hopefully we can stay in touch.  They will be leaving at about 6 AM from the airport and 3:30 from hotel.  I have two daughters that live very close to them and I hope to see them when I go to visit Amy and Holly.


I hope everyone enjoyed the blog and if you know of anyone that might like to take a trip over here let me know.  You don't have to be a Veteran for me to do a trip.  


See you all next time.
JON

No comments:

Post a Comment