Saturday, February 18, 2012

Day 8 - Da Nang, Marble Mountain

China Beach

I don't think it was like this in 1968

Our barracks?

Da Nang Airbase

Marble Mountain

I am sure glad there was an elevator 

Buddhist Temple 

Buddhist Pagoda 

I wonder what's at the end of this tunnel 

The top

There are a lot of steps

Dale, Pat, Andy

I don't think the statue will fit in my backpack 

New friend Andy?

I thought we were going to get some sun

Pat, quit with the rain dance.  We want some sun!

Dale, I am trying to get her cell number!


We started for Da Nang this morning in the rain, which made it a good day to travel.  The first place we went to was China Beach and it was quite windy and raining of course.


On the way to Marble Mountain we passed the remains of Da Nang Airbase.  During the war Da Nang had a large airbase and naval base.  


A little history on Marble Mountain before we get started.  There are five mountains and they represent earth, wood, fire, stone and water.  Marble is only taken from four of the mountains as the 5th mountain has a Pagoda and a temple.  A pagoda is where the Monks live and the temple is where they go and pray.  On the mountain there are many stairs and caves or tunnels.


There are many stores where they sell items made from marble.  A Vietnamese lady has a little shop in the hotel where we are and took us down to her families store.  A large statue will take 3 months to finish with two men working on it.  I can buy a large one about my size for $3,400.00 shipped to my door in Minnesota.


After Marble Mountain we went back to the hotel and then down to the beach to walk on it as it was to cold and rough to swim in the ocean.  We then took a tour of the city and went for pizza.  It is the best pizza I have found in Vietnam.


We are headed back down to Qui Nhon where it is warmer and sun shinning.


See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment